SO YOU WANT TO SELL PRODUCTS ONLINE BUT NEED SOME GUIDANCE ON WHAT ECOMMERCE PLATFORM TO USE. I GOT YOU!
The 5 eCommerce platforms talked about in today’s podcast are:
WooCommerce ( https://woocommerce.com/ )
Shopify ( https://www.shopify.com/ )
BigCommerce ( https://www.bigcommerce.com/ )
Squarespace ( https://www.squarespace.com/ )
WooCommerce – My First Love
The world’s most customizable eCommerce platform
- It works with the open-source platform that powers 33% of the web, WordPress
- The most customizable platform around
- Integrates with almost anything when it comes to marketing tools
- Many Free plugins to help boost sales and conversion
- Hosting can become costly
- No 800 number for support (You are support)
- Managing updates could be a pain
- There is a bit of a learning curve
Shopify – My Second Love
You’ve got the will. They have the way. This is the, “One platform with all the e-commerce and point of sale features you need to start, run and grow your business.”
- You can be up and running very quickly in a matter of an hour or less selling your products.
- All of the major things you need to sell are available with their core services
- A dedicated app to run your online store from your phone & a dedicated POS app to sell your product in person
- Awesome blog that gives you free knowledge and inspiration they believe you need to build a profitable business.
- Easy to use
- Customization is limited
- Apps can have you paying an additional $150.00 – $200.00+ a month to get the features you would like on your website
- Shopify payments do not support selling certain products
- Support not the best – even though they claim it is good (I have clients that have had a hard time with support)
BigCommerce – Showing Interest
Scale your business your way. Get more features out-of-the-box to build, run and scale a better online business – without the hidden fees.
- The best multi-channel selling
- Integrates with many marketing tools to help get sales
- Easy to use
- Integrates with WordPress as a headless eCommerce solution (I am most excited about this. You want to watch or listen to the podcast I talk about this point. The best of WordPress and the best of using a hosted eCommerce solution.)
- Allows you to focus on doing what you do best with your business, while they focus on the eCommerce.
- As your business scales, you do pay more.
- No mobile app to manage your store on the go (considering that its a hosted platform)
This is all I have at the moment for con’s however, I will update if I learn more.
Squarespace – I Have Heard Nice Things About This One
“Squarespace empowers people with creative ideas to succeed.”
- Easy to set up and use
- Includes subscription-based billing (with the highest plan)
- Their templates allow you to DIY your website and look like a professional
- Only a few payment gateways are available to use with this platform
- No Phone support
- Not too many eCommerce integrations
Wix & Weebly – I Don’t Like Them, But People Use Them
About Wix & Weebly
Wix: The place to create professional websites
Weebly: Build a professional website that grows with your business
- Wix: Offload the responsibility of managing the eCommerce portion of your website
- Weebly: Get a Free domain name with any of their packages
- In short, I just don’t like them. This is a completely personal opinion. When you have other platforms that only offer eCommerce services, these two companies just don’t meet the bar that I see with other eCommerce providers.
This is my take on 5 Popular eCommerce platforms. What eCommerce platform do you use? What do you like about or don’t like about it? Let me know in the comment section down below.